Can You Freeze Apple Cider Vinegar? Ways for Freezing Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar or ACV as most people call it is a fermented drink made from apple juice and cultured lactic acid bacteria. This drink is recently gaining immense popularity, which is why you might also want to know if there’s any way to freeze apple cider.
Yes, there is! After all, freezing a drink is a cup of tea and you can do so easily. However, there’s a drawback to freezing apple cider. Keep reading till the end to know more about this drawback and a way to prevent that from happening.
Apple cider vinegar is popular among individuals who are looking for diet aids in the weight loss journey. But, they aren’t the only ones who are willing to use this magical drink! Any person who wishes to have clear skin will surely ask you to sip apple cider regularly.
Apple cider acts as a large-spectrum antibiotic as it halts and suppresses the growth of harmful bacteria like E.coli. Thus, drinking apple cider will help you maintain a healthy intestinal microbial environment. Another fact that you must know is that adding apple cider vinegar to water will lower the freezing point a bit.
In this blog, you will get everything you must know about how to freeze apple cider along with a quick and easy recipe to prepare one at home!
How should you Freeze Apple Cider Vinegar? Method to Store Apple Cider
Apple cider is easy to freeze and the preparation takes less than five minutes! If you have already guessed the method, then let me give you the correct answer. You can freeze apple cider vinegar by ice tray method.
Apple cider can be frozen properly by reducing any chances of microbial damage. First of all, wash your ice trays with water so that there isn’t any trace of dirt or another contaminant in it. Pat, it dry with some kitchen towels and allow it to air dry for some time.
Now, take your apple cider vinegar and fill the ice cube tray. Be sure you are leaving some space for the expansion of the liquid. Do not freeze it to the brim and leave some spaces. Now, take clean cling film sheets and wrap the ice trays carefully.
Drop the trays in the freezer for four to five hours and let the cubes take form. After five hours, remove the trays and separate the vinegar ice cubes gently. Then, transfer these cubes to freezer-safe bags and label them. Pop these bags back into the freezer and that’s it.
Apple cider vinegar also does not need to be frozen but if you have a bulk of it, then go with the above method.
Can you Freeze Red Wine Vinegar?
You can store apple cider in any bottle but can you do the same with red wine vinegar? Many believe that freezing vinegar can alter its taste or nutritional properties. But, that’s not true for cider or any other vinegar. In fact, freezing it will prolong its shelf life and help you in the storage process. Similar to a cider bottle, it isn’t necessary to freeze this vinegar as well. Either you can prepare ice cubes or store the bottle directly in the fridge. It’s up to you which method suits you.
Do apples freeze well in the freezer?
Can I freeze apples in the freezer? Yes, you can freeze apples and different types of recipes from apples without worrying about them going bad. Cooking recipes or food items with apples requires a lot of flavorful combinations. Thus, completely freezing apple slices can help you in different recipes in the future. However, do not freeze hot recipes directly; allow them to cool prior to freezing.
Should you fill apple cider in plastic containers and keep it in the freezer?
Apple cider vinegar does perform well in plastic and glass bottles or jars. However, if you have opened apple cider or non-alcoholic apple cider, then we will recommend you not to open its seal. Instead, directly freeze the cider in its original container.
Tips to Remember when you Freeze Apple Cider
Now, you are well aware of how to freeze your apple cider. But, here are a few tips that you must remember whenever you freeze ACV.
- Avoid touching apple cider ice cubes with bare hands. You can use a pair of tongs or gloves to touch the cubes. A pair of tongs would be the better choice though. Since apple cider has a high concentration of acetic acid, it is better to avoid any chances of contamination. Or else, your cubes might go bad soon.
- When freezing ice cubes, make sure there aren’t any strong-smelling items in your freezer. If there’s any item that might leave a pungent aroma then you must wrap your ice trays in more cling films. This way the two smells won’t mix.
- Apple cider freezes well for over a year without any freezing processes. Therefore, if it isn’t necessary do not freeze apple cider. Place it in any cupboard and it will stay fresh for a long time.
How long does the frozen apple cider last?
Apple cider cubes will last in your freezer for a duration of six to twelve months easily. However, the same is the case with normal apple cider. Thus, there isn’t any difference that you will notice after freezing apple cider.
So, if you are getting ideas or suggestions to freeze apple cider, then know that it won’t affect the shelf life of your vinegar. Instead, you will increase the chances of a serious fault in the original apple cider. Keep reading to know the drawback of freezing apple cider.
How to Defrost Apple Cider?
To defrost apple cider directly remove the number of cubes you need and thaw them in a bowl in the fridge. Frozen apple cider will simply give a bland taste in the form of ice cubes. Thus, remove your bottle from the freezer and defrost it in the fridge.
Next time you have some leftover apple cider, you can freeze them into ice cubes and then use them later on by following this guide.
Is Freezing Apple Cider Okay?
No, it isn’t and if possible you should avoid doing so. The reason why we won’t recommend you freeze apple cider is that it severely affects the taste of the drink. You won’t get the original flavor of apple cider on freezing.
Moreover, thawing it aggressively can drastically affect its healing properties. Also, it may lead to reduced potential benefits of the drink. Thus, it is better not to freeze apple cider. If you wish to challenge the cook in you then you can try our quick recipe to prepare your personalized apple cider at home.
Recipe to Prepare ACV at Home
Amigos preparing apple cider is an easy task and you can do so effectively by following this recipe as it is! Here’s how to prepare ACV at home.
- The first step is to collect all the ingredients required for preparing your homemade vinegar. The best time to prepare apple cider at home is when you are already preparing any dish from apples. It is because you will have loads of apple skins and scraps from the recipe that can be used in this recipe.
- So, get hold of some fresh apples, apple skins, apple scraps, water, sugar, large glass bowls or vessels, and lastly some good quality bottles to store your prepared vinegar.
- For preparing apple cider you must understand adjusting the proportions of sugar to water properly. Remember, you will need one cup of sugar for every gallon of water, i.e., one tbsp sugar for one cup of water.
- Next you can start chopping apples into medium-sized pieces and do not discard their skin or scraps. However, get rid of seeds from apples. Then, add all of these apple pieces to a glass vessel till they fill half the volume of the container. Try to use a glass vessel with a lid for better results.
- Now add sugar and water in appropriate proportions to the container. Mix all the ingredients well using a ladle and if you have any leftover store-bought ACV then add it as an inoculating agent. However, if you don’t have one that won’t be a problem either.
- Shut the lid tight and ferment it in a dark place for two weeks. During two weeks you must stir the vinegar every day at least once. After two weeks, strain the vinegar and discard the apples. Ferment your vinegar for a month in a dark place and then store it in plastic bottles. And your homemade apple cider vinegar is ready.
After knowing the recipe for preparing apple cider vinegar at home, you can try it for yourselves. If you master this process you can avoid purchasing store-bought vinegar as well. Freeze apple cider vinegar using the above method or let it stay still in a dark place. Both ways it will stay in a good state for a year. Now you know how to use and store that extra bottle of apple cider.